Tuesday, October 28, 2008

An open apology to Pumpkin Spice Latte



Dear Pumpkin Spice Latte -
I am very sorry I strayed from you.
Sure, you waltz in and out of my life for a few short months every year, but you have commitment issues. I get it. Or thought I did.
Sure, I am disappointed every year when I come to see you in December and you are gone without so much as a warning or a goodbye.
So, naturally it felt good to walk into one of three St@rbucks at Gardens Mall and order something else. I'll show you, I thought to myself. I even glanced at the poster advertising you as I ordered "A grande, soy, hazelnut hot chocolate with no whipped cream please" Because, even though I was cheating, I still use my manners. I had won, or so I thought. Maybe this would be the move that made you change. You would petition the St@rbucks execs to keep you around all year.
It was good, that hot chocolate. Not too nutty, the chocolate was rich and creamy. I was in heaven. About to start a new life with the drink of my dreams. As I sipped though, I thought, this isn't better, its just different. Something was amiss
And then it happened....
The grass, I learned, really isn't always greener on the other side. True, my new drink offered me stability and comfort that you could never offer. It wouldn't leave me all sad and alone right at the start of the holiday season, causing me to stroll the mall looking at the decorations and lights all alone. However, it also offered me double the fat and calories. DOUBLE! That is a compromise I am not willing to make. A risk, my 31 year old, not nearly as forgiving as it once was Midwesterner now living in Southern Florida body couldn't take.
I know, soon enough you will be gone again. On to bigger and better things. I only hope you come back next year and that we can pick up where we left off.

No comments: