Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crockpot Apple Butter




12 apples
1/4 C water
1 T butter
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel, core and slice your apples.
Place in crockpot with water and butter. Cook on low for 5 hours.
Mash the apples. There isn't really a right or wrong way. I used this thing that I have (and I know a lady if you want one). Just get em mashed.
Add sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Continue to cook on low 7 hours.
Depending on your preference you can stop here. I like mine nice and smooth, so I ran it quickly through the food processor.
Store in airtight containers or can/jar.

About the apples - I used 5 McIntosh and 7 Gala. Why? Well, thats just how I roll. And I was at the store and those were on sale. I have to be honest and say, I don't what makes a good baking apple, so I went with those.

And do you want to hear something funny, blogger doesn't recognize crockpot as a word and when you do spell check, it gives you crackpot as a recommended substitution. I think that is hilarious.

No comments: