Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The truth abut allspice

I love Alton Brown. I didn't always, and I will explain that another time. Today though, I thank him for this Good Eats Fact.
Allspice is not, as is mistakenly believed by those who come across it in ground form, a mixture of spices! Huh - imagine that.
Since its flavor suggests a blend of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg many believe it is a combination of spices. And lets face it - the name allspice makes the idea that it is multiple spices very believable. It however, is actually a single spice that comes from
the dried, unripened fruit of a small evergreen tree, the Pimenta Dioica.
That crazy, mysterious AllSpice!
Thank you Alton and the McCormick EnSPICElopedia.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I had no idea allspice came from an evergreen tree! That's facinating! Thanks for the tip!