Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

So, the past two recipes have been cupcakes. There is no real reason, I bake and cook a lot and its all about my mood really. I am kind of obsessed with bread and rolls lately. This weekend I am baking oatmeal refrigerator rolls - a recipe from Aunt Karen (I inherited her when I married Jim). I'll let you know how it goes.
Until then, here is the cinnamon roll recipe I promised. Please note - these need to rise and require some time.

Also, while reading one of my favorite blogs - The Cupcake Project (http://www.cupcakeproject.com/), Stef talked about using vanilla paste. Sounded interesting, and when I saw her frosting recipe using it that tastes like vanilla ice cream - I was sold. Now I just need to find a yummy dessert to use the frosting with. Results will follow.
Check out the blog though, it is interesting and full of great ideas.

OMG - Its like a Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll

· 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
· 2 eggs, room temperature
· 1/3 cup margarine, melted
· 4 1/2 cups bread flour
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup white sugar
· 1 eight gram package active dry yeast

· 1 cup brown sugar, packed
· 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
· 1/3 cup butter, softened

· 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
· 1/4 cup butter, softened
· 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/8 teaspoon salt

  1. Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
  2. Combine eggs, margarine, bread flour, salt, and sugar. Add in milk and yeast mixture.
  3. Knead the dough by hand or using the dough hook on stand mixer. Once mixed, place a small amount of oil on top of the dough and turn dough in oven safe bowl to lightly coat. Place a damp paper towel over bowl.
  4. To help dough rise, allow oven to heat to 200 degrees, TURN OFF, and place dough in oven for about an hour or until almost doubled in size.
  5. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Line a 9X13 inch pan with foil and lightly grease. Place rolls in baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  7. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Flip pan over onto a baking sheet, remove foil. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

The last time I made these, I did them the night before and I followed the recipe through placing the rolls in the baking pan in step six, I covered the pan with rolls with plastic wrap and placed in the refrigerator. I pulled them out of the frig the next morning and let the pan sit for about 15 minutes before baking. They were great!

No comments: