Monday, April 7, 2008

Chocolate Malted Cookies

I was at the grocery store searching for dry milk powder when I stumbled upon malted milk powder. Not that its some amazing new product, just nothing I had purchased before. My mind quickly moved to baking. And suddenly I thought Whoppers! Nope, not the flame broiled, have it your way kind. The yummy chocolate covered malted milk kind. I am sure there are recipes out there for these cookies, but I chose to adapt one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes for this one. The results were delish! And, as you can see from the picture - huge!
I used Alton Browns chewy choc chip cookie recipe from the "Three Chips for Sister Martha" episode. This episode airs again on Food Network on April 22 at 11PM. Here is the link to the recipes from it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_17114,00.html
One of the things I love most about this episode is that it gives you three variations on the recipe to make what you think is the ideal cookie. Some like puffy cake-like cookies (not me), some like a thin crispy cookie (ok with me but Jim loves), and others chewy (my favorite). With these recipes, you can choose.
You can check out all three recipes, but for the cookies above, I use the chewy recipe with the following variations:
2 Cups bread flour (instead of 2 1/4 cups)
1 1/4 Cup malted milk powder (addition to recipe)
1/4 Cup plus 1 T cocoa powder (addition to recipe)
1 Cup milk chocolate chips (instead of 2 Cups semisweet)

We really like these cookies, and Jim suggested that next time I add some chopped up Whoppers to the mix. Great, yummy idea!

No comments: