Sunday, March 30, 2008

Jelly Roll Cupcake

A cupcake experiment - The Jelly Roll Cupcake. I bought a #230 tip that I found in the cake decorating aisle at Michaels. You use it to fill the center of a cupcake. This could be dangerous! I wanted to try something other than the typical chocolate or vanilla center so I asked Jim and Joe for their ideal cupcake. Jim is quite excited for a "pumpkin roll" cupcake that I plan on making tomorrow. Joe requested jelly roll, and here is what I came up with. I used a butter recipe yellow cake mix for the base, filled with strawberry jam, and topped with a buttercream and strawberry frosting.

This recipe was not a perfect venture.
Slight misstep #1 - I had planned on making the cake from scratch using an angel cake recipe, but forgot to buy cake flour. I keep a lot of cake mixes on hand for my class (its just easier to use a mix since this decorating class is for practice) and had a butter recipe mix. I don't know if I overbeat the mix or if it was that I use real butter and not margarine, but the batter was quite thick. I had to scoop and smooth it into the cupcake papers. This made the cupcake more of sponge like cake, which was wonderful.
Slight misstep #2 - Strawberry Jam. I would probably use jam again, because of the taste, but it is a little messy and difficult. Jam contains pieces of fruit which can clog the tip. It's not a huge issue, but it is a bit of a pain. You probably use jelly and not have the clogging issue, but I just don't like jelly, and if I don't like, it won't use it.

Jelly Roll Cupcake
24 cupcakes
Butter Recipe Yellow Cake Mix (follow directions and beat til thick)
Strawberry Jam
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
Pinch of coarse salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
About ten fresh strawberries

Make the cupcakes according to box, using real butter and mixing until thick.
Once cooled, using a decorating bag and tip #230, fill each cupcake center with strawberry jam. Hold the bag so that the tip is straight up and down. Insert deep into the cupcake, and apply pressure to fill the cupcake.
Beat the butter until creamed.
Add salt, turn down mixer to low speed and add confectioners sugar slowly until well combined.
Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the pureed strawberries. Mix until just blended. Frosting should be dense and creamy.
I used a #16 tip to pipe to frosting on the cupcakes.



No comments: