Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wheat bread and rolls

I started experimenting with breads about a month ago. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer that I love and had never used the dough hook on it. I thought it would be fun to give baking with the rising, proofing, etc. a whirl. So, I bought a sleeve of yeast packets and some bread flour, and began the journey.

My first shot was cinnamon rolls, and they were AMAZING. Jim said they were as good as Cinnabon (he is an honest critic of my culinary experiments). I don't have a picture but I will post the recipe later.

Next was a rosemary round. It was suppose to be just like the bread you get at Macaroni Grill. It wasn't. It was about 1/2 inch tall and looked more like a bread pancake than the nice crusty loaf from the restaurant. Plus, it was a little doughy in the middle - cooked through, but dough like. Judy said she loved and ate more than a polite, trying to be nice helping, so I think she may have really liked it. I didn't. I am pretty sure my water was too hot and I killed the yeast. Therefore, I will probably try to make it again someday.

Joe bought me the Joy of Cooking for my birthday (yeah!), and I started reading the bread section. They highly recommend an instant read thermometer to check the temp of your liquid before adding yeast. You can also test the internal temp of bread to check if its done (thanks Nik!)

This weekend, I made rolls and wheat bread. Both successes!

Rolls:
I actually made the rolls last weekend for Easter dinner. They were a hit. I personally think they are more of a sandwich roll than a true dinner roll, but Jim and Joe really liked them so I made them again Friday to go with the salad we were having for dinner. The method for these rolls is a little different than most breads, but it works well.

Wheat Bread:
The recipe is from the King Arthur Wheat Flour bag. It turned out well. It is more dense than bread you buy at the grocery, and I am very excited to have my sandwich on this yummy bread for lunch tomorrow

Rolls
The recipe makes 16 rolls, but if you made 12 instead they would be a nice size for sandwiches.
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 pkgs active dry yeast (1/4oz packages)
  • 5 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup margarine, melted
  1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk, sugar and salt. Remove from heat and add in eggs and yeast.
  2. Measure flour into large bowl. Make a large well in the flour and pour milk mixture into it. Do not stir. Cover (with lid if you have one). Let sit for 20 - 30 minutes
  3. Pour melted margin into flour mixture and mix well. Add more flour if too sticky***(see below) Cover, and let rise 20 - 30 minutes.
  4. Shape the dough into rolls, and place on a baking sheet. Let rise 20 - 30 minutes.
  5. Bake rolls in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

***I added a little more than 1/4 cup flour to mixture. It was still a little sticky, but I placed a little butter on my hands when I shaped the dough. It made a nice crust and buttery flavor.


No comments: