Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dutch Baby

This morning, I drug myself out of bed, stumbled to the kitchen, fumbled around making coffee and in my haze threw some stuff together and came up with this:




OK....most of that was a complete lie.
A) I was planning on making this for a few days, I even spent $11 at Target on the iron skillet to cook it in.
B) I am actually a total morning person. Its my favorite time of the day!

Before we begin, lets learn a little bit about the Dutch Baby. Wikipedia (which I need to note is a free online encyclopedia anyone can update) explains the dutch baby as this:
A Dutch baby pancake, sometimes called a German pancake, is a sweet breakfast dish. It is thought by some that the "Dutch" moniker refers to the group of German-American immigrants known as the Pennsylvania Dutch, where "Dutch" is a corruption of the German autonym "deutsch".

This was so darn good and didn't need syrup or butter. Just the squeeze of lemon and powdered sugar. Plus it was easy!

I do want to share three notes on the recipe
1) The iron skillet isn't a must. You can use any 10-11in OVEN SAFE skillet (watch the handles) or 2 6inch oven safe skillets. After making it, I realized a pie plate would probably even work, however, I wouldn't know for sure. For me, spending the $11 on it was not a huge deal. I will now try and find more recipes to make that require one. If you don't have or want to buy one, just try one of the options above. I would imagine everyone has a pie plate.
2) In all my research on the recipe, one thing that varied was the half&half. Some called for milk, a lot said half and half and others said to use whole milk. We are Soy Milk (Silk) drinkers here and I needed half and half for another recipe, so I just went with it. If I didn't have it on hand, I probably would have tried it with the Silk. Go with what works.
3) You don't have to use a blender, but it does make easy work of getting out all of the lumps. If your blender is nursing a hangover from all the margaritas it made the night before, just whisk away until the lumps are gone from the batter


Forgive the blender...she isn't use to be up so early!
These guys however, are ready to go! So FEW ingredients, such a delightful breakfast!


Now for the fun part. The recipe! This very easy recipe with few indgredients that you probably already have on hand.
Preheat the oven to 425.
Batter
  • 2 T butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup half and half***

Topping
  • Lemon cut into wedges
  • Powdered Sugar

Directions
  • Place butter in skillet and place in oven to melt. Remove from oven and brush the melted butter so sides and bottom of pan are covered.
  • Place eggs in blender, pulse on low until blended
  • Add flour and half and half and blend on low until well combined and not lumpy
  • Pour mixture into skillet over melted butter
  • Bake 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden brown (watch it crawl up the edges of the pan)
  • Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar, then sprinkle with squeeze of lemon to taste.
  • Cut into wedges and serve.
The Dutch Baby will puff up and out the sides of the pan. I took a picture of this part way through the process, and realized my oven needs cleaned so I refuse to show that picture. Once you pull out the dutch baby and sprinkle with sugar and lemon it fall slightly.

The Dutch Baby before its final touch...powdered sugar and lemon
Enjoy!!!

No comments: